Thursday, August 5, 2010

FTP: In the beginning...

FTP was a 5-year-long project that was finally published in May 2010. I might add, the original manuscript was nothing like the final printed novel (more about that in a later blog).

FTP evolved as the result of a project I was working on to write a self-help personal finance book. In the finance book, I had planned to write a story about the typical young couple who falls in love, finishes college, gets married, moves into an apartment, finances a new car, finances a second new car, has a baby, buys a house they can't afford, buys (finances) a bigger new car, loses one income due to the need to stay home with the children--yes, a second child shows up... and the story continues with debt, marital problems and all the rest. However, the couple is saved from a divorce by the wise counsel of neighbors who have lived a fiscally responsible life, free of debt.

In the process of attempting to write this story, I learned how little I knew about dialogue, plot development, dramatic conflict, puncuation, and the rest. However, the more I learned, the more I enjoyed the process. After several months of study, I decided that I wanted to write a full blown novel. It was then that I began the journey that has resulted in "Flight to Paradise".

1 comment: